February 3, 2011

The Last Song

Having spent here close to three years now, I have started to appreciate certain aspects of England more than before. Although houses in England are cold and drafty, and I still don't get the idea of having separate faucets for hot and cold water, living in England has its upsides too.

The weather isn't definitely as bad as they let you believe. It might be cloudy this time of year but I haven't needed my umbrella in weeks. As the sun starts to come out of the clouds more often these days, it feels like the winter has already passed although it's still the beginning of February.

The people seem nicer too, I'm going the miss the way the cashier ladies call me 'darling' or 'love' and chat me up while I'm doing my grocery shopping. Even though some people seem to uphold a polite facade, I have also experienced some genuine warmth and kindness from the natives.

I think it's my own attitude towards England that has changed. Returning here after the holidays in Finland feels almost like a homecoming. I think this small town of Worcester has started growing on me. I don't love this place, but I'm certainly going to miss it once I'm off to the big world after I'll graduate.

No comments: